Investigations Involving Customs, the DEA, FBI, or ATF
Being investigated by a government agency can spell serious trouble for any business or individual. Many businesses rely on their reputation to gain new customers and keep the ones they have. When the DEA, FBI, or ATF starts investigating your operation, your reputation may be compromised. Potential customers and business associates may view the investigation as a sign that you are no longer trustworthy. At The Samuelson Law Firm we will stand by your side throughout the entire investigation process and shield you from any unfair treatment or illegal investigation techniques.
Defending Yourself During Federal Customs Investigations
The Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA), the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI), and the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives (ATF) are government bureaus and agencies who have jurisdiction over customs regulation and enforcement. Some common offenses that could result in a federal investigation include:
- Importing illegal substances and drugs into the Unites States
- Importing or exporting stolen goods, items, or property
- Attempting to bring exotic species, endangered animals or other plants and wildlife into the country
- Traveling into or out of the country with pharmaceuticals without declaring the drugs or having a valid prescription
- Filing false claims for the payment on goods imported or exported
- Importing or exporting goods without the proper visa or quota
Colorado Springs Criminal Lawyer
If a government agency suspects you or your business of any serious customs offense, you will usually receive a letter stating that you are under investigation. Generally, you have 30 days to respond in writing before you or your company will receive a fine or penalty. The key to terminating a government investigation is to hire a good attorney. I know how to handle federal customs investigations. My criminal defense firm will stand by your side throughout the entire investigation, making sure every letter, notice, and subpoena you receive is taken care of properly to help you avoid the damaging possibility of criminal prosecution.